Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tick Tock Tedium

Any one who knows me well knows that at times I get a bit stir crazy. Restless. Fidgety. Spastic. Bored. Sort of like a dog that needs to be walked a lot or it starts misbehaving. Anyhow, that's how I was feeling last night. The thing is, here it gets dark at the same time every single night, year round, day in, day out. The sun starts setting around 5:30pm, and afterwards, you have hours of darkness. How about a walk on the beach? Not safe solo, and not as easy as you'd think to get a partner. How about a movie? No theatre (unless you count the room that seats about 20 and shows rentals on a projector, which I refuse to). Bowling? Not unless you consider throwing toads at howler monkeys hanging from trees a form of the sport.



Our recent game of Squish the Scorpion in the Studio is most diverting, but it only takes so long to kill em and flush em.









Of course, there's the cul-de-sac of Tamarindo, with it's collection of seedy sports bars and over-priced restaurants, but most of the friends are on a tight budget, and fine dining is generally out of the question. How about cards? Always disliked them up until now, but playing a game of cards or dominos with friends is something I've grown to appreciate.

Of all the challenges so far, this is the greatest. Car problems, critter encounters, sweltering heat, mountain size mosquito bites? Whatevs; I'll get over them. Too many nights in the house? Loca en la cabeza. Oh how I long for the pubs of San Diego and the Carlsbad sea wall like the Israelites longed for leeks and watermelons. Don't get me wrong, the nights of home cooking, relaxing, and being content with fewer distractions has done me a world of good. But last night I reached my max, and though it was unwise, I couldn't resist an evening drive and a walk on the beach. The stars here at night: incredible. To see the opaline waves, the silhouette of palm trees, and the milky way amidst an explosion of stars is, to say the least, awe inspiring (What does it all mean? What does it all MEAN?!?). I returned home, feeling a little scared and sad, wondering just how long I'll last without my closest friends and fondest diversions, and wondering if I should hire a body guard to accompany me on late night walks on the beach.

But today the ministry compensated for the challenges. The people you meet here, the stories they share with you about their lives, and their willingness to study - it really does make you see how people are "skinned and thrown about, like sheep without a shepherd." Teenagers with best friends dying of cancer. Young girls whose fathers abandoned them; whose mothers abandoned them; whose brothers died in accidents. And it is such a pleasure to be able to offer them a little bit of consolation and truth and perspective. We can't make their problems disappear, but we can give them our friendship and our time, and most valuable of all, the truth (and of course, give them Bible teach books for free, unlike a church in Santa Cruz that was selling them!!!). I was able to conduct three really good studies today, and the friend I brought with me somehow knew just what to say to offer compassionate counsel and consolation. So I don't know for how long I'll be able to stave off the stir crazy, but here's to another day.

8 comments:

  1. sounds like soo much fun. we like see pictures of your travels. i;ll be watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss your incessant stirring. :) Beautiful post chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love love the honesty and realness...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You write beautifully, I feel like I am whisked away to your adventure in service. Hopefully your biggest challenge will subside. (I can't believe no one wants to walk on the beach with you. Actually, learning to play cards is not so bad.) Your love for those in your territory will make your stir craziness worth enduring. We will keep you in our prayers. Love, Ronna Denton.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ronna! Fun to see you both on line. Crazy how long we've all known each other, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very encouraging. The truth's the ONLY constant in our lives..........however, did you end with a toast?.......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very moving. As usual, I want to throw in my two cents, and as usual, your ability to express yourself so beautifully makes me feel inadequate. So, I will just say that I completely agree and appreciate your determination dearly.

    ReplyDelete