Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Come One, Come All!

So here's something that's been a bit revolutionary for me. When my alarm goes off at 7:30 in the morning, it isn't that familiar, frenemy sense of guilt or obligation that struggles to get me out of bed in the morning (not that I'm knocking guilt, she has her place in my world). Instead, it's knowing that if I stay home and sleep in, my day won't be as good. I won't be there to share in a cool experience my friends are having, and I certainly won't be having one myself. And besides, the ministry here is actually quite fun. Meeting interesting people, mapping territories, petting pet squirrels, driving through rivers - it's all part of the adventure [also part of the adventure: a continuous creek of sweat dripping down one's back, fighting the fine fight of mosquito warfare, and getting flat tires].

So here's a little information about the area I'm pioneering in. Huacas (part of Guanacaste) is considered the desert of Costa Rica. The year is broken up into two seasons: the wet, rainy season featuring fabulous sunsets, myriads and myriads of mosquitoes, heavy rains, flooded roads, and stifling humidity; and the dry season, featuring two months of perfect beach weather followed by about 3 months of horrendous heat and endless dusty roads. Year round the temperature ranges between 80 to 100 degrees. Did I mention it's hot?!! Two congregations - Huacas English & Huacas Spanish - meet in the same small Kindgom Hall - and both have a great need. I'd planned to dive into Spanish, but fell in love with the English congregation straight away. There are 30+ publishers and 17 pioneers, which means over half our congregation is in the full time ministry. Our territory is huge and the public transportation in the area is rubbish, so I bought a car within the first two weeks. Last month I was given a skeleton like map of a pueblito named Palmira about 45 minutes from our hall and was asked to census the territory and draw in landmarks, roads, and English speaking households. At first I was intimidated and overwhelmed by the project, but in no time I was looking over everyone's shoulder making sure they weren't making any mistakes on MY map. Over the next month, we spent many many hours in the area, but it paid off because we found over 50 potential English speakers. It was so satisfying!!

Talking to people here about the Bible here is such a pleasure. It is easy to underestimate the toll that the frequent rejection of our message takes on us until we get a break from it. And preaching in a place where people have an inherent respect for the Bible is a privilege I am really thankful for right now. We usually offer the Truth tract to establish their level of English and interest, and if we don't get to read at least one of the paragraphs and look up all the scriptures, something is amiss! My favorite study so far is Dayana, a really sweet 17 year old girl from Palmira. I told her there would be a brief quiz after chapter 1, and by the next week, she'd memorized every single scripture in the review box, reciting them in her cute accent. That made all those hours of driving out there so worthwhile. I wonder: when I return to service in a land of condescending responses, will I have stored up enough positive energy so that I won't be fazed, or will it be worse than ever?!

So if anyone wants to come out here for a visit, please do. The service will be the best part, and of course the beaches with good surf and perfect temperatures aren't so bad either. And for anyone who can't visit or serve elsewhere, remember this: anyone who gets even a few hours of service in an area that is not receptive - you rock. Pioneering in a place where service is so much easier makes me have that much more respect for everyone in the States that is reaching out! I miss you all ;))

4 comments:

  1. What an awesome post! Thanks for the wonderful words. Reading this post is such a breath of fresh air! Keep up the good work.

    miss ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing your adventures! I loved the "condescending responses" comment; it's so true! I'm so happy for you, and all your rewarding experiences are so encouraging:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very encouraging words for those of us left behind! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, Nic, it ain't so bad out here in AZ. After my experience down there, I have come back with new zeal. I'm doing alot of informal witnessing, which is the way to make it in the States. I think Costa Rica helped me remember how important it is to tell people and get over the obstacles.

    ReplyDelete