Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My Country, Tis of Me

America, you must know by now, you're ridiculously easy to make fun. How do you manage it? What with your strip mall suburbias, fast food fatties, embarrassingly quotable presidents, and a populous that doesn't know the difference between a Swiss and a Swede, you're just asking for it. But I have defended you a time or two, to the scoffers, or ex-pats, or people as obnoxious as I was in my twenties who think that ragging on you is as counter-culture as going Vegan. And here's a little secret just between us: I'm not completely on board with that whole Pura Vida thing. I like a little chaos and impurity in my life, which may explain my love for Buenos Aires. Sorry, I don't mean to make you jealous. I love my extra hot two pump mochas, the sales rack at Anthropoligie that warps my perception of value, the sand moving tractors that make the beaches enjoyable to walk on at any tide, and wearing sweaters in summer because we control the weather, the weather doesn't control us. And the whole business of civil liberties and freedom of religion and all that - at least you allow us our minds. Or rather, you allow us the perception of our minds and then hijack them covertly through your media moguls because we're foolish enough to allow it.

But, the problem is, those questions are going through my mind again - you know, those questions. Is my life meaningful? Should I update my profile? What is my career trajectory? Could I ever contribute to a This American Life episode? Will I ever be published? Could I ever be wickedly famous like my *sister* Coco Rocha (kidding!)? Have I completely lost touch with the Indie music scene? What should I budget for aging gracefully? For some reason, the level of me discontent is on high alert here. And when you're sweating profusely in the deserts of PuraVidaVille, you haven't got time for these questions. So it's been great visiting you, driving egregiously fast on your freeways, visiting your cinemas, and walking safely on your streets, but you're doing my head in already, so back off!



Recommended Reading (if interested in the topic of this rant):
The Narcissism Epidemic: Living in the Age of Entitlement
The Paradox of Choice: Why More is Less
Stuff White People Like: A Definitive Guide to the Unique Taste of Millions

1 comment:

  1. What? Nobody commented on this, yet? It's brilliant...
    What do you say after you said something was brilliant?
    Oh, I see, nobody is listening; everyone is too busy plugging into Big Brother.;-)
    I was trying to figure out which book to read next. I'm going to order the Narcissist book right now!

    ReplyDelete