Friday, April 15, 2011

Sliding Doors

A couple of Sunday's back, there was an experience about a woman named Roxana. She went to the convention even though her boss threatened to fire her. And fire her he did, but while walking home she found a new job that paid almost double, and in the course of time brought five people from that job into the truth. I kept thinking about all she would have missed out on if she hadn't taken that leap of faith. But of course she would have never known, which is a bit of a haunting thought. This isn't Sliding Doors: we don't get to see glimpses of the outcomes of chances we didn't take. For some people, faith - whether it's faith in God or in the goodness of life - comes easy. I'd say on average, I'm not one of those people. This year, as it turns out, has been one of the most rewarding, but I nearly let fear of loneliness keep me from it, which is ironic considering that I've had roommates coming out of my ears.

Anyhow, gettin preachy ain't my thing, but I have a new appreciation for taking chances and overcoming whatever obstacles get in our path. While I don't espouse the personal choices of this author (rest assured, those of you who may be haters), I do love this particular quote:

"...I've come to believe that there exists in the universe something I call "The Physics of The Quest" ... And the rule of Quest Physics maybe goes like this: "If you are brave enough to leave behind everything familiar and comforting (which can be anything from your house to your bitter old resentments) and set out on a truth-seeking journey (either externally or internally), and if you are truly willing to regard everything that happens to you on that journey as a clue, and if you accept everyone you meet along the way as a teacher, and if you are prepared - most of all - to face (and forgive) some very difficult realities about yourself....then truth will not be withheld from you."

For the quest that most of us are on, those physics aren't such a mystery, but sometimes we still need a push to just go for it. So here's my push.

2 comments: